Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder, or TMD, can produce a range of unpleasant symptoms, ranging from jaw pain to headaches.
TMD can have severe effects on your quality of life, but Dr. Gregory Bauer can restore your health with a simple oral appliance.
Find out how Bear Creek Dental in Lakewood, CO, can treat TMD and other temporomandibular joint issues...
I Have Temporomandibular Disorder Symptoms How Many People Have TMJ Issues Like Me?
What Is TMJ Disorder? A Breakdown of the Basics
Many people are familiar with the term TMJ, which is used to refer to temporomandibular disorders or temporomandibular dysfunction, but it's helpful to step back and take a closer look at the causes.
The TMJ is the joint that connects the jaw to the skull. Our TMJs help us move our jaws up and down and side to side when we talk, bite, chew, smile, and even yawn. The TMJs also act like sliding hinges and contain shock-absorbing cartilage discs. When the discs and surrounding tissue are healthy, the normal movement of the TMJ is smooth. However, the cartilage disc within the joint can become inflamed over time and cause pain and other symptoms.
TMD Risk Factors
Risk factors for developing a TMJ disorder include:
- Injury, like a blow to the face
- Certain types of arthritis
- Chronic clenching and grinding
- Connective tissue diseases
- Misaligned teeth
- Movement of the jaw joints' discs
Lifestyle factors can also increase your risk of developing TMJ. Stress or stimulants like caffeine, for example, can contribute to teeth grinding (bruxism).
Are TMJ Issues Making You Uncomfortable? Contact Dr. Bauer for Much Needed Relief
A TMD can truly make life miserable. A consultation with Dr. Gregory Bauer could be your first step to reducing or even eliminating painful TMJ disorder symptoms. He can help relieve pain in your face, head, ears, and temporomandibular joints.
Dr. Bauer uses state-of-the-art digital technology to identify the cause of your TMJ discomfort. Following diagnosis, he will create a customized treatment plan to improve your oral health as well as your overall wellness.
Request a TMJ consultation at our patient-friendly practice in Lakewood, CO. Use our simple online contact form or by call us today:
Lakewood Area Patients Praise Dr. Bauer
Dr. Bauer and his staff are amazing!! Dr. Bauer is caring, compassionate and a wonderful dentist. He takes the time to explain everything he is doing and is really gentle...I have never really been fond of dentists but my experience with this practice has changed my outlook, The staff here is the best! I highly recommend this practice to anyone searching for a dentistView on Google
Dr. Baur was my dentist for nearly 20 years when he retired. I was so worried the new dentist, his nephew, Dr. Baur, wouldn't be nearly as great as the original Dr. Baur. But he is. He is awesome. For someone who is inherently nervous about dental work, he is kind, gentle and understanding. Also, talented. Trust this office. Good people, doing good work.View on Google
Diagnosing and Treating TMD How Our Dentist Can Help
Temporomandibular disorders are unique to each individual. During your first visit to our Lakewood, Colorado, practice, we'll begin by discussing your concerns and performing an exam. This visit may include X-rays as well as a discussion of your TMD symptoms. It's also important to share what you hope to accomplish during treatment.
Once we have confirmed that you suffer from TMD, we can develop a treatment plan. If your teeth are worn down or misaligned, dental crowns or orthodontics might be recommended. A custom oral appliance can inhibit clenching and grinding while also protecting against further damage to your teeth and your temporomandibular joints.
How Dental Crowns Can Help Relieve TMJ Discomfort
- Teeth that are worn down, broken, or too large or too small can cause your bite to become uneven, unbalanced, and misaligned. This can put unnecessary stress and bite pressure on your TMJs, causing pain and other TMD-related issues.
- Dr. Bauer can restore damaged teeth with beautifully customized dental crowns. This virtually painless procedure improves the appearance and health of your smile while bringing balance back to your bite. In turn, TMD disorder symptoms can be relieved.
- If you are missing a tooth or multiple teeth, this can also cause an unbalanced bite and TMD symptoms. Dr. Bauer can refer you to a top-level oral surgeon in the Lakewood area to replace missing teeth with dental implants, which act as artificial tooth roots. After the implants are surgically placed, Dr. Bauer can attach customized crowns, bridges, or dentures to balance your bite and relieve TMD symptoms.
How a Customized Orthodontic Device Relieves TMJ Discomfort
- Dr. Bauer can also create a custom-fitted orthodontic device to help relieve TMJ pain and other TMD issues. This advanced mouth guard is worn while you sleep.
- Customized mouth guards can stop your teeth from touching at night, which can prevent teeth clenching and grinding. This relieves stress and pressure on your TMJs and allows the muscles and tendons of the jaw to relax.
- Plus, wearing a customized mouth guard can eventually shift your jaw into proper alignment. This too can relieve pressure on the jaw joints, balance your bite, and relieve TMJ discomfort.
TMD Can Be a Vicious Cycle
Pain, tense muscles, and other TMD symptoms can naturally raise your stress levels, which can exacerbate a TMJ disorders. Dr. Bauer recommends stress management techniques, like deep breathing or meditation, and reaching out to our dentistry office. Simply booking an appointment can lift a weight off your shoulders.
Hear from Our Patients "I actually look forward to going to the dentist!"
Is it crazy to say that I actually look forward to going to the dentist!?? I have been going to Dr. Bauer for years (both the old one and the new one) and they do the best dental work around! The whole staff is friendly and courteous and they truly make me love my teeth!! Best dentist ever!View on Google
Dr. Bauer is friendly and is personable. He takes time out of his busy schedule to ask how you are and always explains any procedures very thoroughly. The staff are welcoming and friendly as well. If you are looking for a new dentist, try it out. You will be glad you did.View on Google